Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A to Z: Y is for Youth

This is more of a mini rant than anything else. And it was inspired by Brightest Bulb in the Box. This wonderful woman does a segment called Beauty Bullshit, and I just had to jump on that bandwagon for Y, AKA the letter I couldn't think of anything for.



Why is everyone so obsessed with looking younger? Yeah, I get it. You always want to look healthy and gorgeous. But I, personally, think that you should work with your age. Remember W? Work with what you've got? Yeah, it goes for age, too.

My mom is 50. And she doesn't try to look young or hip or sexy. She looks gorgeous and wise and collected. Pics or it didn't happen? Fine.


Yes, that's my mom (and me). She doesn't wear a lot of makeup because she's already gorgeous. She doesn't try to hide her wrinkles or that worry line between her eyebrows. She would never consider botox. Or lipo. She is beautiful just the way she is. 

And in a way, I gleaned a lot of my opinions about beauty from her. Which is why, when someone asks if I'm using any products for anti-aging, I just...I can't even think about that.

I'm 23. I'm relatively healthy. I take care of my skin, sure, since it's an organ. But beyond the basics of being able to pronounce what I put on my skin (or in my body, for that matter), that's it. I feel like as long as you treat your skin well, it will work well for you. And if you get wrinkles? You earned them! You have laugh lines? The name says it all!

Not to mention, I feel like a lot of anti-aging products on the market are, as Brightest Bulb would put it, total bullshit. Most of the ingredients listed don't soak into your skin. They don't rewrite your DNA (and we would be in trouble if they did). They don't make you suddenly look 30 years younger. 

I truly believe that everyone should love the one body that they have, for all of its flaws and lines and quirks. If you want to take care of your skin by using youthful looking products...just be careful. Read the labels. Try it first. Ask if it's worth the money. And as for makeup...Well, I think we all know what can happen when someone wears makeup that is out of their age range. 

Yes, this is a rant. But I also don't have any products starting with Y. So there you go. 

And yes, that picture was taken at my wedding. 

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment