Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tricks and Tips : Blush

Here's a confession: when I started out with makeup, I made so many mistakes. Aw, who am I kidding? I still do! Almost every day, in fact. I do something that could be better. I have to go back and fix something I messed up on.

My biggest problem? Blush.

It took me ages to figure out how to put on blush so that it didn't look like I had put on blush. My blush was always too red, too much, to weirdly applied. And for years, I didn't wear any. I bought blush, would try it, look horrendous, and would just wash my face and go out bare faced.

After some practice (and buying a decent brush), I finally have it down.

Well, a little.

First off, you need a decent blush brush. At first, I denied this. I thought that a makeup brush is a makeup brush and I didn't want to spend tons of money on a tool. I couldn't tell the difference between a powder brush, a foundation brush, or a kabuki brush. But then I learned that, actually, the right brush can make a world of difference.

This is the blush brush that I use now. It's just the basic powder brush from Sally Beauty. 

Notice: the bristles are soft and fluffy, so application isn't too concentrated.

And here's the difference between the one that comes with blush (small, stiff) and the brush that I prefer. You can see how distinct it is. And how even that brush can make a difference.

Big secret: You don't have to spend tons and tons of money to find the right brush. The blue beauty up there? Less than a dollar at Sally's. If you have the money to blow on the best of the best tools, then fine. But for me, and for people who are just getting started, there's really no need. There are good, affordable brushes out there that can help when you're just starting out.

And honestly, I'm not a makeup artist. I'm just an average girl. I don't need the absolute best brushes because I put on makeup once a day, not 50 times a day on different people.

Basically, figure out what price range is best for you and start out small. 

Trick number two: a dry makeup sponge is your best friend for blush. 


This is the back side of my makeup sponge. Notice how red it is. 
The trick is, if you apply too much blush or the color is uneven, use a dry makeup sponge to drag the color upward. Start at the bottom of the area, and then gently use the sponge to move up toward the apple of your cheek. Once you have most of the color smudged off, you can gently pat the back of the sponge back towards your jaw line to blend. 

If done right, the sponge will pick up a good bit of the excess blush. That way you won't look like you've just been slapped. You'll look fresh faced and warm. 

It takes a bit of practice to get this technique down pat, but I think that knowing how to correct mistakes is half the battle with anything. 

Good luck and thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment