Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why I Wear Makeup

For my first post in a week (sorry, work has been crazy), I've decided to touch on something that a lot of my close friends have commented on.

As I have said, I used to not be into makeup. Not by a long shot. Usually, I wouldn't even try to cover up blemishes. I just hid them behind bangs, hands, or scarves.

And when I started this blog, a lot of people I know were a little skeptical. Me? Makeup? But do you even wear makeup? Why do you wear makeup? You have such nice skin, you don't really need it.

But here's the thing: I'm really self conscious. I get nervous easily, I get anxious and doubt myself all the time. That's part of living with an anxiety disorder, no matter how mild. And honestly, it makes life tough. I remember crying after my first job interview because I bombed it because of my nerves. I remember shaking so hard during the interview that the chair rattled.

For some reason, when I wear makeup, that seems to go away. I feel confident. Sexy. Strong. Sure of myself.

I'm not covering anything up. Heck, if anything, you guys have seen that my makeup is light and thin and barely noticeable. But what my makeup does is make me feel like I'm putting my best face forward.

On those days when I have the time to look awesome. Spend a few minutes on myself, rather than sacrificing for those around me...well, it's a big deal. It's something that is purely for me. Making myself happy, rather than trying to please those around me.

Makeup is something that makes me feel like I'm really me. Like I love myself more every day.

And really, that's something that's rare today. Lots of women hate themselves. They don't feel confident. They don't love their bodies, no matter what size or shape they are. They want to be airbrushed, perfect by magazine standards, not realizing that they're already perfect.

And even just a tiny amount of makeup reminds me that I am beautiful. Especially when I take the time to love myself. To look in a mirror, even when I have a zit the size of Texas, and say, "Damn. I'm beautiful!"

On those days when I don't wear makeup, I can feel the difference. The same way I can feel the difference when I spend the day wearing my work clothes (black on black) and when I have the chance to wear a bright fuchsia shirt that shows off my curves with a pair of nice pants that makes my butt look amazing.

There's something about looking your best that can change you. And when you're as anxious as I am, that's a big deal. Looking my best ensures that I feel my best.

So, yeah, makeup isn't for everyone. But it might be for a lot more people if they knew how to apply it to emphasize their natural beauty. If they could get past what my first thought was: that makeup is to cover up and hide behind.

 I want all of my readers to know that makeup isn't for hiding behind. Makeup is for helping you to take a step forward and say, "Here I am! I'm ready to take on the world!"

Thanks for reading this text post. I just felt the need to get my feelings on the matter out in the open. Feel free to let me know why you wear makeup in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment