Wednesday, February 13, 2013

DIY Lip Scrub

Remember when I told you the internet is your friend when it comes to trying something new?

Well, this is yet another instance where  that is proven to be true.

You see, I wanted a lip scrub. I desperately need one year round because I'm the type of person that forgets chapstick. I also lick my lips constantly and never drink enough water. Needless to say, my lips are pretty much always in a state of dryness and in desperate need of exfoliation.

I found some awesome lip scrubs at Lush, but they were messy and expensive. If you have the money, they are a great investment. But the scrubs, made mostly of sugar, flavor, and some vitamins, still wouldn't solve the problem of my chapped lips.

To my rescue, Pinterest! I searched until I found one that used items I had in my pantry. After all, what's the point of saving money by making a DIY if you have to spend an arm and a leg on the product to make said DIY?

You can find this recipe anywhere, but here's my version.

You'll need: Coconut oil, honey, and sugar (I used turbinado sugar). Seriously. That's it.
First, you will need a small container. I've heard of people using baby food jars, washed out tea tins, and the like. I choose to make my lip scrub in much smaller batches. Here, I re-purposed an empty sample container from (well, would you look at that) Lush. 
Here is the completed, refrigerated product.

And a pile of the sugary (delicious) scrub on the tip of a nail.

My recipe, you ask? My method? Well, to tell you the truth, I didn't really follow one. Sure, the first time I did. But I thought it was way too much scrub for me, there wasn't enough sugar, and there was way too much honey.

So I played around a bit until I got it exactly the way I wanted it. I added the sugar first, then the warmed up coconut oil, then the honey. I kept working in small increments until it was just what I wanted.

And that's okay! You can find a recipe and then tweak it to your liking. That's the great thing about DIY: it's completely customizable. Hate coconut oil? Find another oil that you do like. Want some vitamin E? Sure, break a caplet in there. Add some flavor extracts, some color. Whatever you know will work with your body, your skin, your preferences. 

In the end, that's why makeup is awesome. There aren't really hard and fast rules (well, not really). It's all figuring out what works for you. 

Isn't that the best?!

No comments:

Post a Comment