Saturday, April 27, 2013

A to Z: W is for Working with What You've Got

I was going to write this post on another topic, but I covered my makeup wedges is another post. So here goes. This is completely unplanned and off the cuff!

Aw, who am I kidding? Most of my posts go through only minor editing because I like writing from the heart. Not from the agenda.


This is something that I struggle with ALL THE TIME. Seriously. Because in addition to the other issues I have, I have some pretty bad self esteem issues. I mean... totally, self loathing, can't look in the mirror issues.

I find myself in a flux of desperately wanting to love myself for how I am and how I look, but then hating glancing in the mirror. And honestly, I feel like this is what a lot of women struggle with. Especially women my age. 

But in the end, you can't just give up. You can't. Because that would be the absolute worst thing to do. 

So what do you do? You work with what you've got!

Round face? You can pull off rosy cheeks and bold lips to make yourself look like a classic pinup. Or do something bold with your eye shadow to make yourself look less cute and more edgy.

Long nose or jawline? There are tutorial everywhere for diminishing the shape through special highlights and contours...Or, you can rock it! Show off what evolution gave you. 

I know that one that got me to love the way my face looks is to check up on why my face is shaped this way. Genetically speaking. I'm Irish and German, and both of those cultures had some interesting bouts of feast and famine. My face (and body) is designed to hold onto weight to survive a potentially tough future. 

And the fact that my body recognizes that? BRILLIANT! I, personally, love to do simple eye shadow and the really add blush to my cheeks so that I look young and fresh and adorable. I'm not a fan of myself with the edgy look because I always feel like I'm trying too hard. Not to mention, the faux blush emphasizes the roundness of my face, which is what I'm working with.

I could say a lot more about loving yourself for who you are, but there are a myriad of videos on the internet to help with that. Watch them if you're ever in need of a boost. I like to watch something empowering right before I put on my makeup, that way I feel more confident and more awesome.

Thanks for reading this random text post!

No comments:

Post a Comment